Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wire & Masking Tape Mask Process

Some photos of the process for my Creature From the Black Lagoon mask:

Wire framework of the head, made from 14-gauge galvanized wire from Home Depot, with 24-gauge wire wrapped tightly in figure-eights around each and every joint to tighten. I start by making rings with the 14-gauge wire, and gradually connect them all together, bending the structure as I go to form the head. I have to keep in mind where the eyeholes will be in the design, and how the mask will rest on my shoulders and head.


Double-wide masking tape wrapping the wire, with some balled-up tape to help mold the features----less-messy and less-smelly to work with than papier-mache



Layers of acrylic paint over a base coat of Mars Black

No comments:

Post a Comment